Tuesday 24 February 2015

Mutabbal (Brinjal/Eggplant dip)


I have never been a fan of brinjal... but if there is a lot of this vegetable in season, and you happen to get a bagful every week... well...I had to think of some way to include this healthy veggie in my diet. I have been scouring the web for a nice recipe, when I came across this dish... and I felt it was a perfect substitute for our mayo.. :)
Mutabbal is a middle eastern dip or spread which uses brinjal as its base ingredient...

Brinjals-2 medium
Tahini - 2 tblsp
5 tblsp yoghurt
juice of 1 or 2 lemons according to taste
2 cloves of garlic grated
chilli powder- 2 tsp
salt to taste

Lightly oil the brinjals and give 3-4 pokes with a knife.
Grill the brinjals over an open flame (if you want a smokey flavour) or in an oven until the skin starts blistering and peeling.
The brinjal will be very soft to touch.
 Allow it to cool completely and then remove the skin. Mash the pulp and add rest of the ingredients. Blitz in a processor or blender till smooth.




       
 Serve as a dip with bread, veggies or meat.
                                       P.S. I read in one site that it is best served the next day.. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment